F##CKING HEAD GASKET HAS FAILED

IDI AMIN

They were probably difficult to remove because of the threadlocker, but are most probably M6

You are right they are m6 , ran 1 over 1of the nuts, a bit tight at first but moved better eventually, all the old threadlocker being cleaned from the threads

were you using green permanent stud lock ?
for future reference use blue MED stud lock you wont have any problems

The brand name is V-Tech it is red in colour eurocarparts and machinmart sell it which is who I went to for the tap and die set

So the blue stuff you mention must be easier to come off again.
I was seriously scared its like when you try to remove a rusty bolt it feels so stiff and tight to move, you know that eventually it will break, I'm like oh nooo

IDI AMIN

you want #243 it strong enuff to hold the bolts but not enuff to permanently lock the thread in
http://www.loctite.co.uk/loctite-4087.htm?nodeid=8802623520769

the green #270 is like contrite and prolly the same as the v-tech red
http://www.henkel.co.uk/loctite-4087.htm?nodeid=8802623619073

you could also go for the v-tech blue that's medium strength :)

Yes I've seen it there at euros but just went for the red stuff cause I used it before. At least I know it works hehe...
Just a little too hardcore.

So the thread taps worked great and bolts went in easily and I have something else for my tool collection

So all the rails back on, tensioner tomorrow and the big daddy chain also hopefully the end of all dramas.

And definitely finished this weekend

IDI AMIN

Back in Bizness car started up tonight

Nice, but a couple of minor issues, I have misplaced one of the bolts for the power steering pump, will get one from a scrapyard tomorrow

Also need a thermostat the one I have is pumped.
Need to flush engine and flush cooling system

Can't get pictures up just now computer is fuct also. Been waiting for 3 weeks for a hard drive from they c#ck suckers at ebuyer .

Not really had time to chase them up
Every spare minute been spent on the car. But they say delivery was attempted on 3 consecutive days, which is b#llsh#t .
Why would courier not leave calling card.

HarleyPete

If it's My Hermes, they are absolutely terrible. I've had two separate parcels that they have told the sender they'd delivered. On both occasions, they were left in my porch, which is amazing being that I haven't got one only two front steps. On both occasions they tried to say it was with a neighbour first off but eventually, when I asked for a POD (Proof Of Delivery) they then admitted they had left them in the porch.

IDI AMIN

If it's My Hermes, they are absolutely terrible. I've had two separate parcels that they have told the sender they'd delivered. On both occasions, they were left in my porch, which is amazing being that I haven't got one only two front steps. On both occasions they tried to say it was with a neighbour first off but eventually, when I asked for a POD (Proof Of Delivery) they then admitted they had left them in the porch.

Yes there is a lot of muppets out there you dont know who is telling the truth

IDI AMIN

I am still losing water, the coolant got flushed a couple of times last night.

But the sad thing is I am still losing water so possibly a cracked head well gutted car runs nice quite nippy

Anyone got any advice would be good

KevinH

Just a thought, did you renew the 'O' rings on the pipe from the water pump to the thermostat housing. They have a habit of becoming flattened after time and can be prone to leak on reassembly.
It's also recommended to smear them with silicon grease.

IDI AMIN

Just a thought, did you renew the 'O' rings on the pipe from the water pump to the thermostat housing. They have a habit of becoming flattened
after time and can be prone to leak on reassembly.

It's also recommended to smear them with silicon grease.

Yes there was one in the box with the new water pump but good to hear all suggestions

I now know for sure that water and oil are mixing as it's on the dipstick and under oil cap again it is just a little cleaner this time round

So my only thoughts are that the head is cracked ( shoulda got it pressure tested) or that the gasket was done because I lifted the head off again to check the valve beside the bent one was ok and the bit on the corner where it was open was not ok to use (see pic on other page)

Either way some joy ahead as head needs to come off again and I need to clean cam cover and sump again waaahhh....

The only slight positive is I don't need to buy chains again

I wonder if it's better just getting another head without getting my one pressure tested

IDI AMIN

So I just managed to get the head off on Monday just not really had a chance

Took it to the machine shop, gave them a couple of days and called them this afternoon, news is not good as suspected

They tell me it is scrap it is basically cracked in several places

Was kind of hoping for a little bit of luck for it to be something else cause of all the porting I done last year. And to save time doing it all again.

But as you know I got a head off a vec c a few weeks back just in case

A hard lesson learned by not having it pressure tested first. A hundred odd quid down the toilet wasted on a head gasket set and a skim, need to have it done again on this other head also

So it's all adding up making me wonder if it's worth it but all the parts are bought its just time now before I make a comeback. Probably be another few weeks down the line

The engine was still losing water first day back on the road

The problem was caused by a fuse going on the cooling fan and the spanner light came on , so it may not have been the head gasket that failed after all

But you live and learn.

IDI AMIN

20151010_112331.jpg
20151010_112253.jpg
20151010_112245.jpg

I think I figured how to upload photos from phone you select the photos option instead of the gallery option just tried that a few minutes ago and it logged me out again

So if you look closely you will see the crack on the head which pretty much runs along the full length of head the photos are from different areas of head

I was wondering if I should use the tappets and rockers from my original head cause I know these were not noisy to save having anymore troubles like rebuilding and finding I have a noisy lifter or something

Got the new second hand head pressure tested and skimmed on Friday and it's all good so onwards we go

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
View attachment 62196 View attachment 62197 View attachment 62198

I think I figured how to upload photos from phone you select the photos option instead of the gallery option just tried that a few minutes ago and it logged me out again

So if you look closely you will see the crack on the head which pretty much runs along the full length of head the photos are from different areas of head

I was wondering if I should use the tappets and rockers from my original head cause I know these were not noisy to save having anymore troubles like rebuilding and finding I have a noisy lifter or something

Got the new second hand head pressure tested and skimmed on Friday and it's all good so onwards we go
in which location are the cracks ? between the plug wells
the tappets could be swapped easily :)

IDI AMIN

in which location are the cracks ? between the plug wells
the tappets could be swapped easily :)

Pretty much the full length of the head Mr C. Under the spider leg bits at the spark plug area from between one plug area to the next I'll post another couple of pics later im just out getting valve grinding paste

Some monotonous sh#t lapping the valves I was gonna buy the bit you get to fit the drill but at 30 quid I'll do it by hand.

It's torture when the sucker keeps slipping off the valve head so maybe I should clean the heads of carbon first maybe it'll stick better, only managed 4 last night before I gave up

IDI AMIN

So this one is at chain end just before first plug bit

20151011_125341.jpg

This is between first and second plug areas

20151011_124327.jpg

This is under the spider leg bits at 2nd plug area between springs and plug housing

20151011_124655.jpg

This is just before plug 3 housing

20151010_112331.jpg

You get the picture Fu##ed basically

It is all on the inlet side of the head between the springs and the plug housings

IDI AMIN

20151019_180209.jpg

20151019_180031.jpg

So I've made some good progress with the porting over the weekend just need to add the finishing touches with the sanding belt to smooth off the rough bits, hopefully this weekend, not enough daylight by the time I get home at night.

I am wondering if this will cause any problems but maybe not cause no oil or water passes through this particular part just need a little advice from the pros on this one please

20151019_210821.jpg