F##CKING HEAD GASKET HAS FAILED

IDI AMIN

Car was seriously overheating Friday on way home from work, was way up to nearly 100 on temp gauge after a short journey, realised there was zero water topped it up got home it was empty again.Been topping it up constantly over the weekend. Car was worse than ever today bad idling constantly cutting out when stopping not until today when i got home i checked under oil cap and dipstick some major cream in there :cry: Will show a few pics tomorrow .all my good work last year undone had just done an oil change 2 weeks ago.
I was on holiday for 2 weeks in July and was thinking about a new water pump but never done it:banghead:. I know this is the likely cause of gasket failure

Car is at 176000 miles so should have known better from reading the forum, Been asking for it and got it good

IDI AMIN

Ohhh noooo. :( bad times.
Yeah i feel like crying. So another head gasket set , water pump, maybe a new chain, head skimmed

Busy weekend ahead, think i need a new map sensor also, as code was coming up for it, maybe because of gasket failure

And to top it all my rear brake caliper has been sticking need 1 of them as well done in 2 sets of pads. 1 of which happened after brand new discs and pads fitted
This also was happening on friday going home. I could hear the grinding and was like wtf ijust done discs and pads
So i was major stressed out on the way home

IDI AMIN

I feel your pain :cry:
Well gutted

Is it a good idea to put a new chain on this mess would it block up new oil jet ?
Do i just clean it up best as i can and then a flush when back together ?

Got a few pics but can't find phone to pc cable maybe tomorrow

IDI AMIN

Would it be a good idea to take the sump off completely and wash it out or is an engine flush suffice which im not so sure about. Im worried about blocking a new oil jet .
evocarlos you are usually good with this type of info, and also would it be ok to jet wash the cylinder head with a chemical wash to get it cleaned up quick, i got this done today with the rocker cover . This was a 5 min job which likely would have taken a couple of hours manually, came up fairly clean in a short time

Also anyone with an idea how best to clean injectors, Other than a treatment in the fuel. i am meaning while they are off of the head disconnected would some carb cleaner be good
All tips are welcomed

IDI AMIN

Is it okay to dismantle balance shaft chain tensioner to clean it up, it is full of gunk and i am not 100% certain it is working properly. -------- ANYONE ?

IDI AMIN

Gutted for you mate (n)
Thanks Daz

Hopefully up and running again by Sunday night latest got all the parts here

Just trying to get the old water pump off the block all bolts etc are removed but it is still stuck to the side of the block, So i am wondering does anyone know is it ok to smack it with a hammer and chisel to get it loose, or is there something i am missing

And should there be some instant gasket round it when new pump is fitted? Or is that a dumb question

IDI AMIN

Scratch that last question about removing water pump, i missed a 13mm bolt from chain cover side up top

Just got to clean out chain cover and oil pump,
Then probably take off cams and clean it properly and likely put the new stem seals as they are in head gasket kit

vocky

Staff
do not open the balancer chain tensioner, it will never last. Replace it or leave it well alone.

the water pump has a gasket, but you can add some sealant if you wish. Don't forget to clean the block before fitting the new pump or it will probably leak.

IDI AMIN

do not open the balancer chain tensioner, it will never last. Replace it or leave it well alone.

the water pump has a gasket, but you can add some sealant if you wish. Don't forget to clean the block before fitting the new pump or it will probably leak.

Ok thanks Vocky.(y)

I'll maybe just put some petrol in the holes give it a swish about and press the plunger a few times should clean it out ok.

Sump and cam cover are the worst areas affected with the sludge, very thickly coated, Under bearing caps are relatively untouched with the thick stuff Chain area cleans up easily and quickly

Just about to change the valve stem seals don't want to regret not doing it several months down the line.

Maybe get the stem seals done tonight, Possible bolt on water pump, then up early tomorrow, to put it all together

IDI AMIN

Water pump.jpg

Need a little help the rubber ring with the red arrow i'm not quite sure where it goes ]
Green arrow rubber i'm sure is for water pump cover
Blue arrow rubber is for water pump

So i am thinking it is for inside of this
water pump sprocket.jpg

Or even as i am typing i am starting to think it is for the end of this
pipe2.jpg

So if someone in the know can say for sure

IDI AMIN

Mayday Mayday , I now have a cracked valve guide.
I was changing the stem seals when 1 valve was a bit stiff i tried to tap it out with hammer and punch, to change for another valve but it has cracked the guide :banghead:

This is the 1 that i attempted to change last year, but was not so straight forward . I damaged the tip slightly i think put it out of shape, mushrooming a little perhaps.

Anyways will need to take it to the people that skimmed my head and hopefully they have a machine to press it in

So i am blaming Spawny Get evocarlos for making it look easy and never having problems with this type of thing

On the plus side the new water pump is fitted:D

So its not all bad news