Think I Need New Piston Rings

IDI AMIN

So the car has just hit 150 000 miles recently but has had no recent work done on the rings.
Only new chains and clean the valves of carbon was the only work i have carried out on engine since i had the car. I should have put new piston rings on when i had the cylinder head off and changed the shells . but my knowledge was limited and was really learning as i went along and also money i had spare at the time
I am doing 100 miles a day and using a lot of oil my rocker cover gasket was leaking badly i got a new one but still seems to be using much oil. is it a wise time to do the pistonrings would that help. im sure it is a factor
Basically need some recommendations for piston rings seen a couple on e bay what brand to avoid etc

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-...+Type:2.2+16V|Model:Astra&hash=item3f150b38d1

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-...140122125356&rk=2&rkt=6&sd=270895524303&rt=nc

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5893638bb4

Should i also change main bearings never done them either
If the head is off again may do a little smoothing work in the ports but nothing crazy. just looking for a little advice .should i also think about new valves

1. new piston rings
2. new main bearings /maybe big end bearings as well
3 .new head gasket set
4. new conrod bolts

Anything else i should add to my list would be good to know and any other work i should do while working on piston rings

Dave Gilbert

if u havnt done anything with the head like valve stem seals, reseating the valves will help.

i think.it all depends on cash and how far you want to go.

IDI AMIN

I done 2 new chains cleaned up valves or whole head even ,cleaning up the ports it got new stem seals . and grind in valves removing the rusty surface. i'm sure they are ok just wondering should i get new ones is there any particular shelf life of the valves .
could also put new stem seals as it will come in the h.g set with the r.c gasket also

IDI AMIN

might be worth doing the water pump too
You are right pottsey water pump it is

1. new piston rings
2. new main bearings /maybe big end bearings as well
3 .new head gasket set
4. new conrod bolts
5. new water pump

So it is mainly block work i am looking to do .
Anyone know potential damage to crankshaft from not having enough oil in i can hear a squeak round about 1st and 2nd gears while accelerating up , i wondered if it had something to do with main bearing they can be replaced but what about actual crankshaft if it has any damage . i am thinking this is the cause of the squeak i can hear either that or potentially a wheel bearing but i hear no noise on a full steering lock only slightly as i go up 1st and 2nd gear that is why i am leaning towards main bearing damage possibly
a mechanic told me that noise was due to brakes but i think it is down to something else

any ideas

Dave Gilbert

if it was engine it would be every gear wouldnt it? n bearings get louder the faster they go so i wouldnt say crank bearings.

IDI AMIN

What is best to treat pistons rings in the meantime is it just regular oil changes with a flush to stop heavy build ups on the rings?

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
carb cleaner down the plug holes leave it overnight then change the oil :)
if there gummed up the carb cleaner will help free them a little
you could use shell v power nitro also as it has a cleaning action

DreiVier

Which oil do you use?
I switched from 0W40 to 10W40 and the engine was drinking oil like nothing.
Now back on 0W40 fully synthetic everything's fine.

IDI AMIN

Carb cleaner down the plug holes sounds good carl will give that a go at the weekend (y)

I use 10/40 oil always have done maybe a couple of times used 5/30 i have never used 0/40 oil before
My r.c gasket was still leaking a little on the chain side of the gasket one of the screws to hold the cover i dropped and couldn't find it as it was getting dark , had to use an improvised bolt but it was not doing the job correctly but funny enough i found the original bolt today sitting in the gutter , this was just after discovering where the leak was coming from .
Hopefully this will stem the heavy oil use for a while but i am still thinking i should do the piston rings when i am next on holiday for a couple of weeks as the car is on 150,000 miles .
I have noticed it a little smokey but not heavily or constant this is when in second gear and got the foot down building up speed . But other than that it is virtually smoke free.
I know people say that with worn piston rings you get blue smoke i do not have that, just thinking ahead as i am sure it will come eventually , would like to do new rings while i have a couple of weeks spare in a couple of months time and get the parts i need in advance .

Nobody has said anything about which piston rings are good or bad or recommend a particular brand to go for when buying new piston rings would like to hear a few suggestions if possible

IDI AMIN

Done the carb cleaner down the plug holes full can and cleaned spark plugs, then took it a little run i had a slightly lumpy idle and a miss now and again it was getting worse but a can of carb cleaner seems to have cured that and improved acceleration a bit as well.
So maybe change the oil tomorrow just read above part about leaving overnight but i have noticed an improvement will see what difference it makes to oil consumption hopefully this helps out

IDI AMIN

Which oil do you use?
I switched from 0W40 to 10W40 and the engine was drinking oil like nothing.
Now back on 0W40 fully synthetic everything's fine.
What's the score with this 0w/40 oil is it thicker than10w/40 oi.l I've had a wee scan on the net and people are saying its good stuff . people with high bhp engines say its better smoother revs etc . I would be willing to give it a go if it helps meantime, at 30 quid a go i would be a little worried that i lose all this oil if i try it .
Currently going through 5 litres a week , so it would hit the pocket hard if i still bought that much at 30 quid a go. Doing 100 miles a day mostly in the 70's region
A little curious what difference this oil makes is it thicker and does not burn up as badly as 10w/40 oil

DreiVier

Yes I almost had the same, 5 liters in 3 weeks, but didn't do so many miles per day. I've been talking with @evocarlos about it. There are more degreasers and stuff in this oil, so if a piston ring is jammed and it lets oil pass, it could unjam the piston ring again.
Since I'm using this oil and the new valve cover seal I have 0 oil loss.

IDI AMIN

f**k , f**k , f**kety f**k . I used the 0w/40 oil at the weekend done the engine flush new oil filter . So i have done just short of 250 miles and the check oil comes on the dash when i check oil level there is practically nothing there . Amazing. my plan was to do the piston rings mid july when i am on holiday but may have to take an extra day at the weekend to try and do it sooner so i have 3 days to get work done as it is driving me daft
The only bonus is that the slight smokiness that appeared when hard accelerating up in 2nd gear has gone away. But i will have to stick with 10w/40 oil in the meantime

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
0/40 is w**k, rattle rattle tap tap tap don't ever put it in a z22se :) i spent £60 on mobile one its rubbish lol its too thin and dont give a thick enuff film

the cleaning agent in the 0/40 may have helped you a bit
its not that time consuming to pop the head drop the sump and pull the rods :)
i did a strip down remove and then rebuild and install in 24hours

IDI AMIN

I thought thats what everyone was recommending carl that's why i went for 0w/40 i think it is worse than 10w/40 and its double the price . It felt good the first couple of days .
Probably could do the work without an extra day off . I do a half day on a Friday so it would be possible . Would need to be next weekend though , need to get the parts in first
Would agree with what you are saying 0w/40 oil is pretty naff and for double the price of your regular stuff you would expect better performance
I had a little scan on the net about it and people with performance engines would swear by it . What grade are you using are you back on 10w/40 ?

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
I thought thats what everyone was recommending carl that's why i went for 0w/40 i think it is worse than 10w/40 and its double the price . It felt good the first couple of days .
Probably could do the work without an extra day off . I do a half day on a Friday so it would be possible . Would need to be next weekend though , need to get the parts in first
Would agree with what you are saying 0w/40 oil is pretty naff and for double the price of your regular stuff you would expect better performance
I had a little scan on the net about it and people with performance engines would swear by it . What grade are you using are you back on 10w/40 ?
ive only just put the 0/40 in so im going to run with it for 2k then go up to 5/30 ether mobile 1 or castrol edge ive always recommended 10/40 gm oil for z22se and z22yh all tho ive gone to fully synthetic in the new engine

IDI AMIN

It is possible the 0w/40 oil would be okay in an engine that does not have worn rings but does seem a little thin
I'm sure i have used 5w/30 once before cant remember the thickness of it though if it is a little thicker than10w/40 i may try it

So i got piston rings delivered today the brand name is Arco
20140620_163953.jpg

The only problem is i ordered a brand by the name of Rik
ai.ebayimg.com_00_s_MzMzWDUwMA___z_iEQAAMXQVs1RlI_I___28KGrHqRb131ef3b0fd24ee767c7a682ea678c01.jpg

So i am wondering if anyone has any info to share about Arco rings should i keep or send back ,they should be better than 13 year old worn rings but i know we have good and bad aftermarket products cant really find much feedback about the quality of them on the net so wondering if anyone on here can shed some light

IDI AMIN

Got some tools needed for piston ring work
20140621_132014.jpg

Maybe @vocky or @Daz could shed some light about Arco piston rings as they are everyday mechanics or someone that knows someone that has a little info about Arco it's almost impossible to find anything out on the net maybe that is an indication about how well known the brand is . I have Arco safety boots that is all i know about the brand so any info would be appreciated