Massive thanks to Evocarlos

HarleyPete

Just wanted to say a massive thanks again to Carl for fitting the chains for me. Not only did he give me a lot of expert interesting information but also gave me a tour of the Batcave. I would recommend him to anyone who doesn't fancy or who doesn't have the know how to do them. He is a top top guy in my estimation. Glad the weather was kind as well. I was more than happy to give you what I did as it was worth every penny.

HarleyPete

Only thing on mine was balance chain. Main timing chain was okay but changed it anyway. Carl and his family were great so welcoming.

HarleyPete

Just goes to show as Carl and others have said, regular oil changes do help with chain longevity. Mine was probably in there from new and had done just over 90K. My timing chain was fine even with the original "Mark Two" tensioner as Carl pointed out. It was still running as it should have. The balance chain was the one that was slack as Carl showed me it was just clipping the case. All my guides were in good condition by the look of it which was a bonus as it meant not having to remove the sump. The car didn't miss a beat on the journey home this morning. There wasn't even a drop of oil from the sub frame either Carl, I got out and looked after moving it out of it's parking bay from last night. Got home around half two this afternoon, popped into work and gave the old girl a good clean.
20150125_165835.jpg

20150125_165850.jpg

20150125_170025.jpg

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
looks good :)
i was expecting there to be a dribble of oil from the subframe i guess the degreaser at the end did the trick :)

HarleyPete

Yeah, must have, as I said, I checked this morning and not a sight of any oil whatsoever mate.
She does clean up well, I cleaned her inside and out, hovered right through, wiped down all the interior, door shuts on body and doors, all the plastic and leather then jet washed off all the muck, then washed it with a wash n wax, then blasted it all off again with the jet wash, Just need a dry day now to get some decent polish on her.

Oh by the way Carl, I found a pic of that CSC I was talking about that I put in my Zafira.
This is it mate, looks totally different to the standard one from the back and side.
20130919_230441.jpg
This bit extends up to the hole in the bell housing that the original cooper pipe would have connected to.
20130919_230451.jpg
This bit comes through from outside the bell housing on the Zaf and clicks into the other part. The bulge in the middle seals the hole in the housing.
20130919_230532.jpg

HarleyPete

Sadly mate, was so engrossed in learning and watching the master at work (plus being overwhelmed by the Batcave) that I forgot to get some. I was actually thinking the same thing as I sat earlier writing that post. Carl was impressed by how clean mine was under the bonnet, not down to me but nice all the same. Was interesting seeing the progress on his engine etc. always love that sort of thing, could spend hours just learning about things like that.

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
i see what you mean about all the plastic on that slave :confused:
the progress on the engine or the lack of it lol so much to do and not enuff hours in the day :(

HarleyPete

Yeah, it must be okay and work though as it's been in my old Zaf for well over a year now. Don't know how it compares or would stand up to a higher performance engine though. I even had a look on Ebay at one stage just after getting it to see if they were on there but nothing came up.
Funnily enough, just had a quick look and found this. I wonder if that's what the earlier one has been superseded to even though it says it's for a B.

HarleyPete

I know what you mean, I sometimes think that as well, need 48 hour days, but then again, there's only so much daylight when you need it.
Sundays weather was even better than Sat wasn't it, was gorgeous when we left at around eleven. Cheers again mate.