Balancer shaft delete = 10 bhp

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
about the same as you have been quoted for balancing maybe a little less :)

IDI AMIN

Just joined the club last night and cut the Balance Shafts . What can i say. Impressive . There is definitely a more 'Meaty' sound when you fire up the engine. And what they say about accelerating faster is also true.

Doing this to the Balance Shafts Definitely brings the engine to life how it should be

Does what it says on the tin

So don't think about doing it . Do it

cavaddict

Nice one!! May have found my problem, the flywheel hasn't been balanced apparently, well it has no balance drillings anyways. Engine is back out and stripped so will be tonking off to Worcester on Friday in the MG to get it all balanced.

dewismotorsport

Ok cool, but how wide is the bearing seat and the bearing? (Not yet stripped one down so can't get my head around it, I wouldn't dream of pushing a bearing shell over in an c20xe/let for fear of it causing damage

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
this big
29 or 28mm round and about an inch wide
WP_000455.jpg

Sjdickso

Staff
Nice one!! May have found my problem, the flywheel hasn't been balanced apparently, well it has no balance drillings anyways. Engine is back out and stripped so will be tonking off to Worcester on Friday in the MG to get it all balanced.

Who did the flywheel in the first place or did you just buy lightened?

cavaddict

Its Courtnay lightened billet one. I bought it as a used item, but the guy i bought it off didnt mention any probs.....but then again, that was nearly 3 years ago! lol.
Must get my mods done quicker!

pottsey

Its Courtnay lightened billet one. I bought it as a used item, but the guy i bought it off didnt mention any probs.....but then again, that was nearly 3 years ago! lol.
Must get my mods done quicker!
don't worry steve I have mods that need fitting from 4-5 yrs ago lol

cavaddict

Well, got back from Worcester at 1:30 and have managed to get the engine rebuilt with its fully balanced parts. So, weather permitting will get the engine back in using the bottom end with the balance delete kit in, and we'll see how it runs :)

Sjdickso

Staff
That's poor to say it should be balanced already never heard of anyone having issues with the courtenay item, I always thought they where TTV items.

cavaddict

Well have finally run it up and there is still slight vibration. Now seeing as the bottom end has now been dynamically balanced, this can only leave the balance delete. It's nowhere near as bad as it was, but its defo not as silky smooth as the old engine with the shafts in. Gonna live with it as i have other probs now.....hmmmph....lots of lovely error codes!

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
im not sure what to say i found no difference in the way the engine ran before and after the balancer del the engine still passed the pound test before and after

cavaddict

Well i'm gonna re-check the valve timing tomoz as i've noticed the exhaust note has changed too which is a bit weird.

cavaddict

What a day!!!! Found the exhaust cam was one tooth out, so sorted that easily. Then whilst reassembling it next door popped around as he needed access to fix his fence, this meant ( it turned out ) that i forgot to re-torque the cam sprocket! Started it, sounded like a bag of spanners. Stripped it again and the exhaust cam had spun 180 degrees and the lugs on the sprocket had sheared. Yes the colour did drain although the air was blue! So, started from scratch as none of the valves were stuck down and amazingly it runs! All compressions check out too. Booked in for June 9th at Courtnays for its map and i'm gonna run it for a couple of weeks before i fit the inlet plenum.