Balance Shaft Seized/stuck Any Tips How To Get It Out

IDI AMIN

Hello all i was changing balance shaft sprockets and noticed one was quite stiff and now seems not to move looking for tips please how to get it out or free it up and also what to do about this broken retainer thanks
2012-11-24 17.11.01.jpg

astra22bertoneauto

Have you removed the engine from the car? On the astra/zafira you cannot remove the balance shafts as the body shell interferes. The balance shafts are as long as a camshaft. The retainer will have to be replaced but im not sure if you can buy that part from vauxhall.

Bet you wished you never thought about changing the balace shaft sprockets now......why that ebay seller put them in the kit i dont know.

IDI AMIN

Engine has not been removed from car plus its a vectra and yes i do wish i never replaced the sprockets it seemed to turn fine when i done the cam chain the exhaust sprocket was hard to get off and didn't turn as easily as the inlet one now this becoming a f**king disaster/nightmare:mad:but if there is a problem with balance shaft better to try and fix it now rather than put it all together and then have to strip it all down again it was a c**t just taking the camshaft cover off seemed to take forever and now this s**t is dragging on and on f**king doing my nut in

vocky

Staff
90537565 inlet balancer shaft bearing

90537455 exhaust balancer shaft bearing

I would track down a used bearing rather than buy new, must be a few about.

IDI AMIN

Cheers Vockster(y) is it a case of trying to get one from another car in a scrapyard by stripping chain cover etc or if you know any where i might get one without going to scrapyard i googled this part number last night and could not find it even on a few vauxhall parts websites so if anyone can point me in the direction where to get one it would be appreciated. the part number is 90 537 454 thats how it's written on part and also will this solve the problem of the b/shaft being apparently seized as it would not turn freely by hand. i will price for a new one also. will save time trying to strip one from another car if possible suppose whatever is quickest/cheapest method will do.

vocky

Staff
just buy a pair of balancer shafts, they usually are for sale on ebay, but can't see any at the moment.

Or post a wanted advert in the classified section

IDI AMIN

Sounds a bit pricey but i will give it a go what about taking them out i think i need only one that is stuck do i need a bearing puller or something i assume someone has done this before removing a stuck balance shaft .i'm sure i seen an ad on here but it's about 4 years old

IDI AMIN

90537565 inlet balancer shaft bearing

90537455 exhaust balancer shaft bearing

I would track down a used bearing rather than buy new, must be a few about.
This part number you gave for the exhaust bearing comes up saab when googled i take it this will fit because when i type vauxhall part no. nothing comes up

IDI AMIN

No 126 in exploded engine image if it helps identify part i am on about

Attachments

• Exploded image z22se engine.jpg
    Exploded image z22se engine.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 1,220
Last edited:

IDI AMIN

Does anyone know the best way to get balance shaft out should i just grab the end with vice grips and yank it out alll suggestions on a postcard

jwalker

I would maybe give it a tug, it should just come out. It won't actually come all the way out while the engine is still in the car

IDI AMIN

Okay thanks but if the engine lowers to touch the subframe would it not have enough space it is only a couple of inches away while sitting on an axle stand with mountings removed

astra22bertoneauto

stick the bolt in it a few turns and give it a tug, as above should just pull out. Even with engine on the subframe you may still not have enough clearance, give it a try thou.

IDI AMIN

I would assume all internals are the same its just the block looks different but just to confirm from someone in the know