Z22YH Another direct engine problem

Andy SRI

Hello and welcome to my thread all views welcomed.

My car a 2005 2.2 direct SRI

Last week it coughed slightly and went into limp mode spanner on the car showing on dash and would not rev over 3000 rpm.
With been 100 hundred miles from home and no breakdown cover here is what i did.
Checked all connections all seated ok started car up again as above limp mode spanner showing.
Disconnected fuel pressure regulator electric connector car now revs over 3000 rpm spanner on dash has gone out and EML light has come on. Car now driveable and got the journey done although lumpy about 4 miles from home it developed what felt like a plug going off and firing on 3 cylinders.
Today i plugged the fuel pressure regulator back in started the car the EML light went off and the spanner light came on putting the car back into limp mode and not been able to rev over 3000 rpm. So i unplugged the regulator again and as before the spanner light went off the car drives fine a little lumpy but drivable.
So here's the thing with the regulator connected car goes into limp mode with it disconnected the car is driveable. So my theory is the regulator is at fault and not the HP pump as this appears to work without the regulator.
I phoned up Vauxhall and they say if i take car to them and it shows on the tester the regulator is at fault they will replace for free. If not i will be charged £60. The £60 i would prefer to put towards a new pump if that is the cause of the problems.
Any one else had similar problems and what fixed their car.
Thank you for looking
Andy

rushy

What make is your HP pump mate. The directs suffers from HP pump failior with cars fitted with the Siemens pump. Your looking at about £250 for a revised Continental pump which is bolt on so it can be replaced yourself.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Andy SRI

What make is your HP pump mate. The directs suffers from HP pump failior with cars fitted with the Siemens pump. Your looking at about £250 for a revised Continental pump which is bolt on so it can be replaced yourself.

Hi it has the siemens pump on it at the moment, i just think its odd how the car drives with the fuel pressure regulator disconnected (open circuit). I am picking up a continental one second hand from the breakers later today. Hope it cures the problem.
Let you know later.
Cheers
Andy

Andy SRI

UPDATE

Second hand Continental pump fitted car cured better than its been for a long time.

So if your unlucky to find yourself in limp mode with the spanner light on unplug the fuel pressure regulator and it will take the car out of limp mode. Then you can get home OK.

Thank you

Andy

rushy

Glad you got it sorted mate. It amazes me that VX still refuse to admit that there is a problem with the pump even though they all tend to fail.

Matt

Administrator
Glad you got it sorted mate. It amazes me that VX still refuse to admit that there is a problem with the pump even though they all tend to fail.

Sounds just like the M32 gearbox Steve!

jordy

What I don't understand is how come vauxhall tell you if the regulator is faulty they will change it for free but when I phoned them about it 4 months ago they told me the recall had expired and when I object basically tell me to get lost as it wasn't a safety recall.

rushy

Vauxhall or the Dealers? When I had problems with the Dealer I phoned Griffin House direct.

jordy

I phoned vauxhall direct on 2 occasions and was told same thing. I'm not sure how good my local dealers are I've never used them really at all.