Old pistonrings on wiseco pistons?

TFD

Hi people,
first question right after the introduction 2 minutes ago haha

The GM power/upgrademanual says they use the old piston rings on the new wiseco pistons so they dont have to hone/bore the cilinder (put overbore pistons in it etc. etc.).
Now I did this stuf before on the Nissan projects with overbore JE pistons but using oem rings and no need to take the whole engine apart for a bore sounds nice to me.

Anyone know the background of this thing or any word of advice?

Any pro/cons on wiseco's btw or how to install them correct? Heared people about burning oil, but that could be a bad mechanic's job as well...

Grtz,
Daniel

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
you have to use the rings from the cylinder your changing on and put them back in that cylinder with the new piston

personally i would just fit the new rings and run a honing tool down the bores then run the engine in for 500 miles :)

i cant say about wiseco pistons i've not got that far yet :)

TFD

Cheers for the reply. I would think it makes some sence using the old rings since they are worn in and fit the cilinder I reckon, but dubblecheck before you take the engine apart is a smart think lol

vocky

Staff
you should be okay with standard 86mm pistons, but you need to measure the gap in the rings before fitting them to the pistons, just insert them one at a time into the cylinder and measure the gap, use a dremel to adjust it until it's correct. I think it's something like 15 and 18 thou, but please check.