Coolant Loss

A

Aidan G

Hi,

My astra 2.2L is loosing coolant and i have noticed that it appears to have some milky oil. Can you please advise on this. It does not seem to be leaking coolant out into the car but i have noticed that the coolant levels are gradually going down and requires to be topped up. I hope that its not a head gasket, but i can't think of anywhere where all this coolant could be going???

I am also based in Perth, Western Australia if anyone knows a good mechanic around my area that can help me fix this.
Thanks.

MikeS

Former Staff
It does sounds like a head gasket problem, however I have heard of the water pump seal failing, that is less uncommon than a head gasket failure on this car

any problems starting from cold ?, any misfire ?

A

Aidan G

I have just recently had the water pump replaced because it was leaking from a "tell tail hole"? after doing this the coolant levels are still decreasing?
There was one occasion when the car was idling the rpm would drop down a little bit then pick up back to normal level then drop down again and did this for a little while then stopped. It was worse while the air conditioner was running so I'm not sure if that was just the spark plugs or a once of strange thing thats not related at all to the coolant loss.