ABS and Traction control advice and help needed

richard165

Hi,

I noticed during heavy rain that there was water running down the back of the engine.

Stripped scuttle panel and cleaned god knows how many years of silt and dirt, as i don't regularly check. The water drains properly now, so finished the job and went to take the car out.

I don't know if it is coincidence but now the traction control and ABS lights are on. Turned car off and back on and now the lights go out. After a bit the lights are on, so took it in for the codes to be read and the mechanic told me that there was an open circuit on rear right and front right wheels and that these were the only codes that were shown. so he cleared them and about 20 miles later the lights came on again. I took the plug out of the abs pump/ecu and gently blew some compressed air and wd40 into the pins just incase there was some water ingress, but everything seemed dry.

Either by coincidence or not, the lights are less frequent. sometimes the come on and stay on, sometimes they go off, sometimes they dont come on for 70 miles, and yet again sometimes (!) the traction control will blip out at low speeds and the abs pump activates for no reason at low speeds.

So, took the car in again, and explained the above and he cant fit the car in till the 3rd July, but he did read the codes and this time a different code was showing, incorrect signal from front right wheel.

This concerns me because what if each time the lights come on there is a different code?

I guess what i'm asking is what would you do? replace the wheel bearing at the front right, which isnt exactly cheap, or wait the extra week and pay x amount of labour for a diagnosis?

I had tested the sensors using very basic electrical knowledge, and compared the front wheel sensors' resistance when rolling and the results are as follows:

Front Right 1.558 - 1.580

Front Left 1.409 - 1.351

There is also no play in any wheel bearings.

I dont know if this is any help. I am just confused and would like to learn for myself what to do.

Any help would be much much appreciated!

vocky

Staff
sounds like a bad connection, might also be worth getting some electrical contact cleaner and do the abs ecu and the wheel hub connection

richard165

Just been to local motor spares and had the front right replaced under guarantee. Lights still on after test drive 'front right open circuit ' contract cleaned plug in wheel and abs plug too

Don't know where to go from here:(